How does it work?
The IGV+ concept is based on the optimization of the inlet guide vane angle through an innovative design. Customized for different versions of the turbine, the optimized angle can maximize the mass flow of the compressor and thereby increase the power output. Higher mass flow in turn means increased steam generation in combined cycles or cogeneration plants which can even further increase the overall performance of the plant. In other words, by implementing minor modifications in the shortest possible time, IGV+ brings about a safe and reliable increase in the power output of V94.2 machines.
A key item in implementing the initiative is to adapt the logic control system to accommodate changes in the IGV angle. This is to enhance the operational flexibility of the machine when facing various ambient conditions. Compressor map was investigated in different versions of the machine and all the required modifications to adapt the control system were applied in the new logics. Verified features of the technology include:
- 5 MW increase in power output in actual conditions at baseload for version 3 of V94.2 machines;
- 3 MW increase in power output in actual conditions at baseload for version 5 and higher (including MAPNA’s upgraded versions);
- Proportionate power increase in the relevant steam turbines combined with the a.m. gas turbines;
- Certain small increase in efficiency of the gas turbine;
- Optimal operation of the machines: a) peak operation during summer, and b) lower turbine inlet temperatures and thereby higher lifetime for hot gas path components when off-peak.
A key feature of IGV+ is its distributed nature. With a newly constructed plant, power is generated on-site and needs to be distributed through transmission lines which implies inevitable power loss. IGV+, on the other hand, addresses high demand in the peak season case by case, i.e. for the designated power plants, and only for the required period, i.e. peak load. Last but not least is the remarkable lower cost: A-to-Z completion of IGV+ costs around 10 million USD at most, an insignificant sum compared to similar solutions internationally offered in the power generation services market.
- A version of this article was earlier published in Power Engineering International (PEi) in April 2017.